What is CPD?
Continuous Professional Development
As professional practitioners we are obliged to continually keep abreast of Professional Developments in the field of Reflexology, Human Development, Caring for Clients, Running a Business, Holistic Healing – to name a few areas. Through the maintenance of Professional Standards we can ensure that we are delivering the most Professional Quality Service to our clients. The general public will have more confidence in selecting a therapist that has and is constantly updating their skills, and this standard of Professionalism is being monitored by the Institute Governing Body.
CPD for Complementary Therapists was recommended by The National Working Group on the Regulation of Complementary Therapists which was set up by the Government and so in order to be recognised by the Government as a Professional Therapy, we need to have a competent measurable system of CPD.
CPD was introduced in 2004/2005/2006 as a Pilot Scheme to Full members of the Institute. From 2007 CPD became an requirement for renewal, unless otherwise stipulated by the Board. Historically membership was always renewed on or before 1st September each year. Since 2011 members join from the date they apply for membership and every twelve months after. To join the association and renew your membership all members are obliged to have obtained at least 100 CPD points per year of which 20 CPD points must come from a Reflexology related activity. Memberships are for twelve months only from date of initial commencement. New graduates who have graduated within 12 months of applying for new membership are exempt from providing 100 CPD points.
We The Irish Reflexologists Institute have given assurance to a number of Bodies such as VHI, Laya Healthcare,Irish Life, Brian Mullins, Sheridan’s, O’Brien/Finlay, Balens (Insurance Brokers), FICTA, RIEN, The Government and others that all our members are Professionally Trained, Qualified in their Fields of Expertise and continually upgrading and upskilling their Professional Standards both in relation to:
- Their skills in treating and caring for clients
- Caring for themselves as professionals
- The running of their business
CPD helps to keep us in Good Professional Standing among; The Health Professionals, other Complementary Therapy Associations, Government Bodies and most importantly our clients.
Who needs CPD?
- All Full Members of the Institute who are fully qualified and practicing Reflexologists need the required level of CPD
- New Graduate members do not need to collect CPD to join. However, during the year following initial membership they need to collect 100 CPD points for renewal.
- Associate Members are not currently practicing professionally and do not need CPD. However should Associate Members wish to upgrade to Full Membership they will require CPD to do so.
How does CPD Work?
A total of 100 CPD points are required each year in order to renew your membership of which 20 CPD points must come from a Reflexology related event.(20 Reflexology points are not obligatory till Jan 2023, all members must present 100 points) Full Members must maintain a record of all CPD undertaken in the IRI CPD Form, where feasible have a signature by the course provider/network coordinator to sign the sheet. Where this is not feasible retain a copy of the Certificate or course payment. Members are not required to send in these documents at the time of renewal, they may be asked for a copy during a Membership Quality Check.
How to obtain points:
Regardless of which course you decide to do it is important to NOTE that a minimum of 20 points each year must be obtained from a Reflexology related activity i.e. Course, Network Meeting, IRIL Workshop, Article in IRI Newsletter, Journal or Attending the AGM, Radio/TV Interviews etc. (20 Reflexology points are not obligatory till Jan 2023, all members must present 100 points)
As courses differ in content and duration, IRI endeavor to maintain a point system that reflects such differences. However, some courses may not be eligible for CPD as they may not be specifically related to the development of a Reflexologist or the running of a Reflexology Business.
Points are based on course duration:
- 4 hours (0.5 day): 25 pts
- 5-6 hours: 30 pts
- 7-8 hours (1 full day): 50 pts
- 11-12 hours (1.5 days): 75 pts
- 14-16 hours (2 full days): 100 pts
- First Aid Course 50 pts
- The course provider where feasible should sign your CPD Log Sheet.
- You must keep your CPD log sheet, certificate, receipt of payments etc.. for a Membership Quality Check.
- For a Membership Quality Check.you will be requested by the IRI office to email a copy of your CPD Form and related documentation to validate your CPD points.
- IRI Members are not required to submit CPD information for their annual renewal.
- Course hours do not include breaks e.g.; A course that runs from 10.30 – 4.00 with one hour for lunch and two 15 minute breaks has four hours course time (0.5 day). A day that runs from 9.00 – 5.30 and has the same breaks of up to one and half hours has seven hours (full day)course time.
- 20 Reflexology points are required for each year as part of the annual 100 CPD points requirement. The 20 Reflexology points must include a practical element.
- CPD points are not awarded to Complementary Therapy Teachers for the teaching of courses/workshops as these are seen to be their profession and teachers in turn need to be obtaining CPD points to maintain their already high standards of practice.
CPD points can be gained from the below list of courses:
A&P Advanced Courses, Advanced Reflexology Courses, Angel Healing, Bach Flower Remedies,Counselling, Cranio-Sacral Therapy, Crystal Healing, Energy Healing, Energy-related courses, Homeopathy, Indian Head Massage, Integrated Energy Therapy, Introduction to Aromatherapy, Kinesiology, Hot Stone Massage, Life Skills Consultancy, Lymphatic Drainage Massage Courses (all types), Shamanic courses with Certs, Metamorphosis, Nutrition Courses, On-site Massage, Pathology Courses, Reiki, Relaxation Courses, Spiritual Development, Stress Management, Yoga Foundation Course, Hopi Ear Candling
You may attend other courses that are not on this list. IRI advise that you execute caution when booking courses and ask the qualifications of the course giver. The tutor should be qualified in the subject, have a teaching qualification (minimum Level 5 QQI), provide course manual and a certificate. IRI do not recommend one course over another. Email the office with any queries you may have on a course in relation to CPD points – email@example.com
Diplomas & Longer Courses:
More detailed Training Courses that are run over a year or more and offer you a Diploma such as Aromatherapy Training, Hypnotherapy Training, Kinesiology Training, Teaching Adults Certificates, etc. that have continuous assessment, exams, will work differently. These will provide an overall total of 80 CPD points per year. You are still required to get 20 points from attending a reflexology-related event, as stated above. (20 Reflexology points not obligatory till Jan 2023, all members must present 100 points)
Other sources of CPD:
IRI Members may also gain CPD points by:
- Writing an article for the IRI Newsletter (Min of 500 words) 25 pts
- Serving on an IRI Board (must attend 90% of meetings) Points per year 100 pts
- Serving on IRI Sub-Committees (20 per meeting) 20 pts
- Submitting a Research Study to the IRI Board 50 pts
- Publishing a Study in a health-related magazine 50 pts
Hosting a Zoom Class:
- Hosting a Zoom Class 30 pts
- Hosting a Zomm Class series, per class 20 pts
Attending IRI AGM/EGM:
- Attending an AGM/EGM in person or zoom 50 pts
- Attending a Network meeting 20 pts
- Setting up a Network (once off) 30 pts
- Organising each Network meeting 10 pts (extra)
- Hosting a Network meeting in your home 10 pts (extra)
- Attending a Network meeting with Treatment swaps 20 pts
- Attending a Network meeting with a Speaker/Demonstration 20 pts
- Attending a Network Meeting with Shared case studies 20 pts
- Maximum CPD points allowed per Network Meeting 30pts
Notes on Networks:
- All Networks are to be registered with the IRI.
- Meetings held via remote technology, such as Zoom, Skype or Teams, gain the same points listed above. We do not distinguish between face-to-face and remote meetings.
- Attendance lists and dates of meetings must be sent to the office at the end of each year, by the network organizer for points to be awarded.
- For more details please see Networks
- 1 day: 50 pts
- 2 day: 100 pts
Setting up/hosting or attending an advanced reflexology day/weekend where qualified practitioners can come together to swap treatments, share techniques/case histories to the group & bring in relevant speakers to the group.
- Events held via remote technology, such as Zoom, Skype or Teams, gain the same points. IRI do not distinguish between face-to-face and remote meetings.
- You must keep the attendance record as evidence.
- The CPD Log Sheet for Continuous Professional Development , will record your attendance at Network meetings, Courses, Seminars, Lectures, Workshops and AGM etc., or Health Topics related to Complementary or Alternative Medicine (C.A.M).
- It is your responsibility to insure the safe keeping of your Log and obtain the relevant documentation to credit you with CPD points. Keep a copy for your own records. IRI complete Membership Quality Checks it is your responsibility to have your current up to date Log Sheet and relevant documentation available for inspection. CPD Log Sheets
- Only IRIL Board Members, Network Leaders or Course Providers may sign the attendance section of the Log. You cannot sign your own log sheet.
- CPD points can be carried over from one year to the next, for a maximum of 200 points for two years. For example if you accumulate 300 points in one year, you can carry these for the next two Renewal Years only and then they run out automatically. You must still however need to get 20 points from attending a reflexology related event each year.
Exemptions from CPD:
- Just qualified (New Graduates): If you have just qualified, you are exempt from CPD until after your first renewal of membership.
- Maternity Leave: We will allow six months maternity leave from obtaining CPD points. Then you will be required to send in a copy of a Doctors Note stating the date you gave birth. You must obtain 20 Reflexology Related CPD in the year you take maternity leave to qualify for renewal of membership.
- Long-term illness: If you are ill for over six months. In this case you must send a Doctors Note at time of illness to the Board member with responsibility for CPD. Each case will be dealt with separately.
- Unexpected family illness/circumstances: We are aware that from time to time unexpected events can happen and thus members are not as free to seek out and do courses. We have decided that if you continue to Practice Professionally then you are obliged to get your CPD. This is the requirement in all fields where CPD is currently operating. For this reason we suggest that you never leave the getting of points until the end of the year.
- The IRI will only accept an application for exemption of CPD if submitted in advance. Each application will be reviewed on a case by case basis. CPD exemptions will not be granted retrospectively and will not be sanctioned after the event has taken place regardless of the circumstances.
- Should you have any queries or questions in relation to CPD please do not hesitate to contact the office.
If you have any further questions about CPD please contact Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org